This is my Matariki task. We had a day of doing Matariki and this is what it is based on. I am putting this on because I am really proud of it. We were learning all about Matariki by doing this and I had a lot of fun.
We are learning about Matariki
Task One: Workshop Reflection
Choose your favourite workshop. Write a reflection about what you did in your workshop.
My favourite workshop was the sewing. We learnt how to use a sewing machine and also how to hand sew. We had a pad to sew all over until we felt comfortable. After that we all got some pieces of denim and we had to sew them onto a black piece. We made it look like a the sea with big waves. We then cut out stars and a boat. We ironed them down and then we had to hand sew little crosses onto them. I enjoyed it because all of my friends were there and I learnt how to sew. I also loved the people that taught us. They did an amazing job.
This is a quick tip on how to use the sewing machine.
- Put in whatever you are going to sew and make sure the foot is up.
- Then put the foot down with the lever at the back.
- When you are ready you can put your actual foot down on the pedal but start of slowly.
- Keep the line straight and don’t make it go all crooked.
- When you get to the end put the foot up and pull the piece of fabric.
- Cut it off a little bit away from the fabric so that you don’t cut it.
- You then have finished and you can start your next piece.
- explains what the workshop was all about
- shows why and how you enjoyed it (personal voice)
- shares what you learnt
- includes a photo of the activity (hopefully with you in it)
- has that something extra special (e.g. instructions on how you could do the activity too)
Task Two: What is Matariki?
- in your own words
- summarises main ideas about Matariki
- clear and easy to understand
- has the creative “x factor”